The Memory Keeper's Daugher... A Review by Elise


When I first posted on my blog that I was reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards, I received a few comments curious about my opinions about the book. I think the most common questions we readers ask each other about books is: "So, did you like it?" My response regarding this book is...well...actually, no, I didn't. I should say that I thought the premise of the book was very, very clever and I was intrigued at how the story would play out. But ultimately, I had a very difficult time feeling attached to the characters-- all of them-- and I didn't feel that connection that makes me enjoy a good read. The writing, while very descriptive, was very choppy in a lot of parts, and lacking something that I can't quite put my finger on. I found myself having a difficult time "believing" the story. To me, the best fiction feels true when you're reading it-- even if the the story is about something very fictional, like vampires or time travel or wizards. I felt like this story missed that for me. But, what do I know?-- after all, it was a bestseller. I'm curious if those of you who read it had similar experiences.