My Favorite Krumkake Recipe

Something interesting happened to me yesterday. A colleague asked me what I like most about this time of year, and I must admit it was a tough question to answer. Not because I'm some sort of grinch, exactly the opposite, actually. There are so many things I love about this time of year that I'm hard pressed to narrow it down to any single thing.

If I had to narrow it down, though, I'd have to say it's the food. Beyond the fact that this time of year is famous for the variety, the flavor and sheer volume of food, it's also notorious as a time of reflection. Maybe it's because December offers a great vantage point from which we can survey the year gone by; remembering the things that brought us joy, finding contentment in our successes and humor in our failings and considering the road not taken. More likely though, it's probably because it's been proven that food (or more accurately the smell of food) is one of the strongest triggers in recalling memories. I'm sure we all, at one point or another, have come to relate a certain smell with a memory of good times gone by.

For me, it's the smell of cookies baking. Specifically the smell of krumkake being made on a griddle. That particular smell takes me back to my childhood, spent with great-aunts and uncles who were one-generation-off-the-boat Norwegian Americans living in Northern Minnesota. It makes me think of their kitchens filled to the brim with people; some of them baking, some watching, some tasting, but all of them enjoying each others' company. And the noise, oh the sound of them all talking and laughing! Great memories to be sure.

So, because food is so important to the holiday season, I thought I'd share my favorite krumkake recipe with everyone! This is a tried and true recipe, that my wife and I love. In face we just made it over the weekend and can attest to its wonderful flavor. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have and that it can be a part of your own cherished memories.



Ingredients (makes approximately 50 krumkake)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup (approx. 1 stick) unsalted sweet cream butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 tablespoons corn starch
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

Directions
In a mixer, combine eggs and sugar and slowly beat together. Next, pour the melted butter or margarine into your mixer along with the vanilla extract and ground cardamom.

Sift flour and corn starch then add to egg mixture. Mix together until dough has a thick pancake batter-like, or somewhat doughy, consistency.

Once your maker is up to full heat, it’s time place the dough on the griddle. For expedience it’s a good idea to use two spoons (one to scoop batter and the other to scrape the batter onto your krumkake maker. Remember to place krumkake dough a bit above the center of your griddle pattern, so there is ample room for the batter to move forward as you close the lid.

Leave the batter in the maker with the lid closed for 35 seconds.

Once done, remove with a thin spatula and roll or lay flat to cool. If you are going to roll them into their traditional cone shape, you will need to do so immediately as they cool and harden quickly. 

This recipe definitely has been described as very "cardamom-y" in that the cardamom flavor definitely comes through. If you are looking for a krumkake that's a bit sweeter you can either serve this recipe with whipped cream and preserves (which I wholeheartedly recommend), or you can reduce the amount of cardamom and increase the amount of sugar used.