Welcome to the cafeteria...

At Thomas's school, the kids are given a couple of different options for lunch. The first option is the regular cafeteria menu, prepared by "Chef Heather" and her crew, and differs each day. They send home a monthly calendar and, for the most part, I think Heather comes up with some pretty good stuff. This option is served on a green tray. The other option, served on a red tray, is called "Munchers". There are three options in the Munchers category: yogurt munchers, peanut butter and jelly munchers, or pizza munchers. The Munchers come with the entree as described above, plus string cheese, some kind of carbohydrate (like a roll or a breadstick), and the large fruit of the day. All lunches, whether on the green or red tray, get a choice of white or chocolate milk and an all-you-can-eat trip to the salad bar.

Every day, without deviation for as long as he has eaten at the cafeteria, Thomas has chosen Yogurt Munchers (red tray). He even prefers this choice to a lunch I could send with him from home, which is perfectly fine with me.

Tonight for dinner, I made beef stroganoff. Now, I should mention that this meal is not a family favorite, but something I decided to do because we had an extra 1/2 lb of ground beef in the freezer that we needed to use. I cooked the beef with onions, though, and I thought it turned out pretty good. I knew it would take some coaxing, but I had hopes that maybe they would actually like it, or at least just pick out the egg noodles.

When I put his plate in front of him, Thomas scowled, "Oh gross! It's just like the green tray!!"