A Recipe: Brownies

Remember when I said I was going to post a new recipe every month? Ha ha. That was a good one!

Well, maybe I'll just get real and say this: I'm going to post a new recipe whenever the urge should strike. So there.

Tonight, while I am mulling the idea of (re)starting a diet of some kind (plus the running with my new shoes!), I thought I'd post a recipe for the simplest, most delicious Brownies ever! These do not taste like boxed brownies-- they are much, much, much better.

This is not actually my recipe; it belonged originally to my mother-in-law, Marilyn's mother, Phyllis. I was not honored to meet Phyllis in this lifetime, but from what I hear, she was an amazing cook. Try these brownies out, and I'm sure you, like me, will have no doubt.

Brownies

Oven temp: 350

1/2 cup butter (yes, you must use real butter, I prefer it at room temp)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder

Stir all ingredients together (when Marilyn first showed me this recipe, she told me that she only hand-mixes it... I can't do it any other way).

Pour batter into an 8X8 glass pan and bake for 25 minutes.

* These brownies are tasty when served alone, but my favorite way to eat them is topped with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a drizzle of butterscotch caramel syrup. Mmmm....

Thanks to Marilyn for passing this delicious recipe on to me-- they're the only brownies Chris will eat!