Peer Pressure to Lose Weight (From Boys to Boys)

My younger son was approached by two boys in grade eight on the sports team. He was told he should lose weight but cutting his caloric intake to 1500 per day.

The team has a personal trainer who is a nutritionist. The nutritionist has reviewed nutrition, caloric intake, fat content, protein vs. carbs et cetera. My younger son is on a 3000 calorie a day diet to match his energy needs and calorie burning from 15 hours of intense practice a week.

I approached the nutritionist to discuss this matter and he said 1500 calories is dangerous. At minimum my son should have 2500. Being in grade 7 and not yet in puberty, his testosterone level is low so no matter how much weight lifting he does he will not be able to bulk up muscle. He can burn calories to burn off fat but he won't get ripped. My son has a body type that looks just like my husband's body: he is stocky and solid, and is built to be a football player, as my husband was.

I frankly am shocked that BOYS are discussing thin-ness, and in grade eight at that. I plan to have a conversation with the mothers, casually, to let them know of this so they may choose to do fact correction with their sons. I think they should know their sons are doling out bad nutrition advice and putting negative peer pressure to do a dangerous activity on their friend and teammate.