Learning to Take Notes

As a homeschooling family who used alternative education, taking notes was never a priority.

I have reached a point where I realize that notetaking is not intuitive and natural. This disappoints me greatly. Apparently this is a learned skill, at least for some kids, and my two are both in that category.

I now regret not having required my kids to take notes earlier in their lives.

I resent stories of unschoolers who told tales of teens who suddenly took on more serious academic work all under their own guidance. I only know one kid that fits this category of all the kids I have known over the years. That kid only learned the skill as it was mandated and necessary to get good grades in "outside classes" he took. That kid also is one who is motivated highly by grades and wants acceptance and accolades from his teachers.

For my kids notetaking is going to be a learned skill that is only started under duress. I hate that they don't want to take notes and that they feel this is a negative experience in their lives. We had many great fun years of homeschooling and my kids are both resenting doing the nitty gritty no matter how mainstream and common it is. It is an uphill battle for me. Since both plan to go to college they have to learn to learn by reading boring textbooks and listening to lectures. Since they do not have photographic memories they will have to take notes. Period.