Bob didn't make it.


I'd like to think that I'm capable of taking care of a fish.  I have had two dogs for the past 8 years.  They've lived.  I have a toddler who has made it to one and a half years so far.  If I can take care of a child and other pets, I thought a fish would be easy peasy.

Um, nope.  

A few of you saw my facebook post the other day questioning overfeeding the fish.  Well, after a bunch of people told me that feeding the fish 2-3 times per day was too much and I was probably overfeeding him, I dropped down to only feeding him one time per day.

Fast forward several days, and he just isn't looking right to me.  I don't know what to do when a fish is looking odd, so I just went about our normal business.  Then he stopped eating completely.

And then he died.

So, apparently, I can't take care of a fish.  
Or, well, at least not this fish.  

Several people have offered me explanations.  I fed him too much, I fed him too little, I need a cleaner/feeder fish or a snail to clean out the tank, he needed fishy friends to be happy and live longer, etc.  I feel bad that whatever it was we did- it didn't help him to stay with us for very long.  

I do think we will get another fish, I'm just not sure when, as at this point we're a little busy for the next few weeks.  We will follow the suggestions of getting a snail to clean the tank and more than one fish to assure that they won't be lonely.  

I am trying to look for the silver lining in this situation.  Little man is still little enough that he doesn't quite get it.  He keeps walking up to the empty tank and saying, "is, is, ish!"  He doesn't quite get it yet that the fish isn't just hiding behind one of the cars or behind the rocks.  Hopefully we can get this whole fish ownership thing figured out by the time he is aware so that we don't have to try to explain why the fish died when we don't even know.  Hopefully, the next batch of fish will thrive and just live for, like, 10 years or something.  That'd be great.  

I'll keep hoping that will be the case, and we'll try again, and maybe get closer to figuring it out.

RIP Fishy Bob :(

Photobucket
Pin It