Little League T-Ball



May 2004

Older son aged 6, grade one.

My older son, then six and in grade one did Little League for the first time. The coach criticized us because my son was "starting late". This was T-ball actually. The game was not even played as normal, every kid went up to bat and they didn't keep score. They didn't practice much and they didn't learn how the game was played.

I was surprised at how unsocialized the schooled kids were. They were indifferent, unfriendly, or rude. They only cared to talk to who they liked already from public school. Private school kids and homeschoolers were on the outs and no one had a use for them.

The parents were clique-y also. Three women turned to say hi to me and when they asked who my son's teacher was I said we homeschooled. One who later I found out was PTA President said, "Hmph!" and turned her back to me. Conversation over. From then on I kept my nose in a book and didn't even try to make conversation with the town moms. Another contingent there was the Nanny bunch who never would speak to the actual mothers.