Stop Singing!

Singing to oneself, out loud, spontaneously is considered by psychologists to be a sign of happiness.

Sadly in this too-small rental (supposedly temporary), open floor plan house, in a homeschooling family with two kids and a mom in close quarters, singing to oneself is a nuisance. It hinders other's ability to think and write and compute math and other important things.

"Stop singing!" I say to my younger son. Then I have to start raising my voice. And repeating it. Over and over.

I hate that I have to make that order but this is what these circumstances place upon us. When living in small quarters, when we can't be alone in a quiet place, we can at least find a way to have silence.

We're trying to get real work done around here. It's a shame that we all are unable to be productive with auditory interruptions such as singing voices. That's just the way our brains work. We all have compromises to make and repressing the desire to sing out loud is one that sadly, my younger son will have to comply with, at least during homeschool lesson time.