My Son & Primitive Archery

Both of my sons had Greg Anderson for a teacher at their homeschool experiential nature classes at Great Hollow Wilderness School in New Fairfield, Connecticut. They both enjoyed him.



The last two sessions that my older son took, in eighth grade, focused a fair amount on Native American ethnobotany, including primitive hunting skills and primitive archery. My son made some of his own arrows using traditional methods.




My son speaks to the students and parents explaining the process of making arrows by hand and shows the arrows he made by himself, November 2010.


Greg started a cottage industry business, North Wood Traditional Archery, and began selling at festivals. Now he has a website and you can purchase his traditional bows and arrows online. The website has a fair amount of educational information about self bows, check it out if you are interested.


My younger son has also enjoyed having Greg as a teacher for various experiential nature classes but the younger kids were not handcrafting weapons and shooting them. Two things happened at about the same time: we moved out of state and the program closed, so my younger son never got to learn to make his own arrows or to shoot primitive archery with Greg.
Here is a video of Greg making a traditional arrow.


Greg Anderson June 2010